Re: Dial Indicator Set

To: ccfarm@tranquility.net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dial Indicator Set
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 97 08:23:35 CDT
Chad,

On the dial indicator... what do you plan on using it for?
You mentioned looking for a "set" which seems interesting.

First place I would start is by checking the web for
the rec.crafts.metalworking faq (sorry I do not have the
address handy). In the FAQ you'll find a list of vendors,
with good hints as to who is "person friendly" (most deal
with shops placing large orders).

Second: You can buy a cheap "Made in China" dial indicator
for as low as $15.00 (1" travel, .001" reading). I probably
use those 95% of time.  When I really need a "accurate"
dial indicator, I have a 4" dial Starret. 0.000 5" reading. About $250 (?).

If you give us an idea of what you plan to do, we can probably
recommend a few tools & sources.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S. THANKS for the feedback on the distributor machines. I'll
post more once I have the motors and simple "bench" tester.