To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, b-douglas@ti.com
Subject: >>>> Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com> 09/19/97 06:29am >>>
From: "Kevin Leitch" <KLEITCH@Corel.Com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:26:38 -0600
>>  From: =22Kevin Leitch=22 <KLEITCH=40Corel.Com>, on 9/17/97 4:25 PM:
>>=20
>>  The Century can be used w/o gas, which I do when welding in the field, =
but I
>>  really like the gas better and think it gives better welds than =
flux-core.

> I read in one of the welding guides that you should change polarity when
> switching between gas and flux operation on MIG units.  I saw no easy =
way to do
> this on the unit I borrowed.  Anyone know why this would be recommended =
and if
> it really makes a difference? =20
>
> Thanks and regards, Bob Douglas=20

Yes, you should (must) change polarity when switching between solid and =
flux-core wire. Polarity make a big difference in the weld since it =
dictates how the arc is produced in relation to the burning characteristics=
 of the wire.  You can use gas with flux-core wire to product hotter =
welds, but you keep the polarity set for flux-core and still have to deal =
with slag and smoke.

On my MIG unit there are terminals with wing nuts on the ground cable =
mount and wire drive assembly, there are also two leads (positive & =
negative) coming from the transformer. To switch polarity I simply swap =
terminals the for leads.  All in all, it takes me about 5 minutes to =
switch between solid and flux-core wire (most of that time is pulling the =
wire from the liner and winding it back on the spool).

K.W.L.