removing anodization and corrosion from Al, steel?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, kitcar@bolis.com
Subject: removing anodization and corrosion from Al, steel?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:15:21 -0700
Folks,

I recently picked up an aluminum-engined project.  Externally, the
engine case is fairly heavily corroded, as well as all the steel
fasteners/fittings scattered all over it.  The engine's internal
appear to be fine, so I am reluctant to tear it apart.  Do any
of you know of a good spray-on (and perhaps some light scrubbing)
solution that can remove the corrosion?  Something that hopefully
won't affect paint too much, or eat gaskets?  Perhaps any advice
on how to attach this stuff?

While I'm asking, there are also some other pieces which were nicely
anodized once, but now have corrosion spots breaking out.  I'd
like to de-anodize them and polish them out, though I am unsure how
to remove the remaining anodization?  I had once talked to a person
from a shop called "Trucker's Choice" (?, somewhere in CA) at the
Portland Swap Meet; she claimed to have a spray that would remove
anodization.  Unfortunately, I lost her business card, and have no
idea what the product is, or how to contact her.  Is anyone on this
list familiar with such a product, or perhaps even the store?

Thanks!
Mike