RE: Tool questions

To: "'Steve N'" <sgn1@ra.msstate.edu>, shop talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Tool questions
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:13:05 -0700
1 -- The only advantage to 12 point sockets that I can think of is that
they're easier to line up on the bolt/nut (twice as many ways they can
go on) which might be handy if you have a coarse ratchet or you're using
some non-ratcheting tool (breaker bar, beam torque wrench) to turn the
socket.  There is such a thing as a 12 point bolt, too.  My MR2 had
those on the head studs, so I do own one 12 point socket.

2 -- Impact sockets tend to have thicker walls, so they may not fit in
everywhere a non-impact socket would.

3 -- I have mostly Craftsman tools because I can go to Sears whenever I
want, and I can get broken tools replaced on weekends.  The Snap On &
Mac trucks don't stop at my house. :(  If I did this for a living, and I
tended to need tools on weekdays, and the tool trucks came to wherever I
worked, I'd probably own fewer Craftsman tools.