Re: Re: Tool questions

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: Tool questions
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:48:43 -0500 (EST)
>> Also for most of the work you'll be doing on a car a 3/8 ratchet is
>> all you will want to use.

>An aircraft mechanic working on my plane once told me that if you need more
>torque than a 1/4 inch socket can deliver something is wrong...he used 1/4
>drive sockets almost exclusively.  Of course, much aircraft work is done in
>very tight quarters but still, it made me think.

This might be true on aircraft (and maube this person was talking about
putting bolts on;  but even there, some head bolts are torqued to 140 foot
lbs), but it certainly isn't true up here in the frozen north where millions
of tons of salt get dumped on the roads every year-I once have a breaker bar
with a 6 foot pipe, and was braced with in on my shoulder and pushing with my
legs to break a suspension bolt loose (amazingly enough, nothing broke, not
even the bolt).

I use 1/2" sockets when I can, and smaller ones when I have to (the 1/2" ones
are more durable, usually)

Take care, Scott M Ryan