Re: sandblast, again

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sandblast, again
From: Kenneth Yokosawa <yokosaw1@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 01:05:20 -0500
>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:00:38 -0500
>To: shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net
>From: Kenneth Yokosawa <yokosaw1@pilot.msu.edu>
>Subject: Re: sandblast, again
>
>  I have both a TIP 99 pressure blaster and a cabinet using the kit from
TIP as well as a small cabinet from Harbor Freight for soft media and
delicate parts. The pressure blaster needs to be refilled every 15-20
minutes. This gets real old quick! I had planned to modify my cabinet to use
the pressure blaster in the cabinet. But after refilling the pressure
blaster so frequently, I finally ordered the siphon pick up tube. Atleast
now I have the satisfaction of being able to blast continously with out
interuption.
>  For the most part the cabinet blasting is just as good as the presure
except for heavy rust which takes a little longer. For paint removal alittle
stripper and scraping prior to blasting speeds things up.
>  I am weekend car nut/restorer and have little time for my hobby. So If I
were set on a pressure blaster I would get the largest capacity one can
afford. Also keep in mind that a pressure blaster needs to be use out doors.
It makes a real mess! You will have blast media everywere! Much of it will
be lost so you will need to have a good supply of media if you are doing a
large project. For safety you will need head gear and eye shield which needs
to be frequently replacement due to the fact that it also gets etched.
Gauntlet gloves are required for your hands and a heavy clothing to protect
your skin. Needless to say that all this gear is guite warm and you will
soon brake a sweat which of course will fog up your vision! Last and most
important you will need a respirator! The fine dust is harmfull to your
lungs and health! I have considered a fresh air system , but have stopped
here, resorting to use the much more practical Blasting Cabinet. Had I
known, I would not have bought the pressure blaster and protective gear.
Instead I could have spent the same money and had a larger Blast cabinet.
>  Hope this helps!   Ken

>>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:54:39 -0500
>>To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
>>From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
>>Subject: Re: sandblast, again
>>Sender: shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net
>>
>>Dave Williams at 07:37 AM 11/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

>>> "Simple," I think.  "I'll just open one of my many catalogs and pick
>>>out a small pressure blaster, since most of the people I've talked to
>>>rave about how much better the pressure blasters are than the siphon
>>>types."
>>>
>>> Not so simple.  About half the catalog entries don't tell whether the
>>>gun is siphon or pressure type.  The other half appear to be entire
>>>blasting rigs, which I don't need.  I just need the gun.  And a *little*
>>>gun; my little cabinet (actually a homemade thingie derived from a clear
>>>plastic Rubbermaid blanket storage box) doesn't have room for a full
>>>size gun.
>>>
>>> Sooo... anyone know where I can pick up a small pressure blasting gun?
>>
>>There's no such thing.  A pressure blaster is usually a large heavy steel
>>canister that stores the sand and is pressurized by the compressor.  It's
>>not just the gun as with paint spray guns.
>>
>>As far a bang for the buck, a friend of mine picked up a pressure blaster
>>from "Odd-lots" for about $90.  I've seen the same pressure blaster in
>>Harbor Freight's cat. for about $150.
>>
>>Also pressure blasters don't usually have a gun at all.  There is a nozzel
>>at the end of the hose with a ball valve to shut off sand and pressure.
>>I don't recommend turning it off that way.  Start by turning off the
>>pressure feed.  Otherwise you will eat up the ball valve in about 3 days!
>>
>>John
>>

>>John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
>>Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>>
>>48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget  65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
>>     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

Kenneth Eino Yokosawa
      B385SP