Re: Drill Press

To: jagbits@bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: Drill Press
From: Bob Bachman <bobach@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 08:33:58 -0800
Greg Price wrote:

> > Date:          Wed, 25 Dec 1996 21:09:08 -0800
> > From:          Bob Bachman <bobach@voyager.net>
> > To:            shop-talk@autox.team.net
> > Subject:       Re: Drill Press
>
> <BIG SNIP>
>
> Just a note to let you know your computer's clock is wrong.  It's
> 1997.  Most email clients sort the emails by date and time.  On
> my system, your emails end up at the bottom of a long list, hidden
> from sight.
>
> But anyway, does your method of modifying the drill press chuck  make
> it difficult to swap out chucks?  I'm  shopping around for a drill
> press too, and your mod makes a bunch of sense.
>                 G. W. Price & Company, Ltd
>                    Santa Fe, New Mexico
>     Consultants in research, information management
>                  and program evaluation
>           Probabilistic Record Linkage Services

Gregg,

Thanks for the reminder on the computer date. I had a trial CAD program
that had expired and had set the date back to fool it. Forgot to reset
the date.

The trick with the 1/4" screw will not make it any harder to remove the
chuck once you remove the screw. If you think you may need to change
chcks from time to time, don't use the Loctite.

A tip on chuck removal. After you drill that 1/4" hole up through the
chuck body, tap it 5/16" x 18. Then to remove the chuck, run a long
5/16 screw up into the chuck and against the end of the spindle and
tighten very tight. Then tap the head of the screw with a hammer and
the chuck will pop right off. The screw acts like a jackscrew.
To protect the 1/4" thread you put in the end of the spindle run a 1/4"
x 1/2" set screw into the end of the spindle before you use the
jackscrew.

Bob Bachman
th