Shop Lighting and Leaks

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shop Lighting and Leaks
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voyageronline.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 20:27:59 -0500
> Paint those walls white, even if you're just painting the studs and sheet!
>
> 10-4.  Any cheap white paint will do, and a roller and a big brush. Doesn't
>have to be > Rembrandt quality in the workshop.

I have a basement shop that is pretty much ideal temperature wise. It's
surrounded by earth on 3 sides and stays around 50 to 60 degrees year
round. A question about painting the walls white. My walls are block.
What's a good paint to use that will cover well and be priced reasonably
and what's the best application method? Spray or roller? I have a
compressor.

Another question - The basement was waterproof until I installed a
chimney that extends down into the ground from the outside and enters
through the wall into the basement. Heavy rains cause water to come out
the chimney pipe and I have to keep a 30 gallon garbage can under it to
catch it. No wood stove connected any more. The water doesn't flow
continuously, only after 15 or 20 minutes of HEAVY rain. I guess I
should have sealed the block since I assume that the water is soaking
through the block and entering that way. Am I right? The chimney sits on
a 3x3x3 footer. Should I dig up the earth down to it and seal the
chimney? I so, what is the best sealer. The stuff on the foundation
which is about 20 years old looks like tar. It works great though.

* Tom Shirley                                             *
* Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)              *
* 72 Datsun 510 #18 (the race car)     71 MG Midget       *
* Visit the Nickel & Dime Racing website at               *
* http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080        *