Re: Welding inner fenders without creating fireballs?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Welding inner fenders without creating fireballs?
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:21:56 -0500

> I have a 1970 MGB, I just finished preparing a new pair
> of fenders to go on it.
>
>   While I have the front end dismantled, I would also like to
> weld in a few patches on the inner fender to keep things
> watertight and solid.
>
>   How much of the fuel system am I going to have to disassemble?
>
>   Specific to the B, is there a join in the fuel line somewhere between
> the carbs and the pump? Also, if I remove the line from the pump
> forward will it leak from gravity? Or is the pump reasonably fuel
> tight when turned off?

When I did my sills and rockers, I just removed the fuel tank.
There was a period of about three months, however, between the time
I started the project and when I started welding, so I assume that
all of the fuel had evaporated from the system.  If you want to be
absolutely certain, you could detach the fuel line from the pump and
blow it out with compressed air.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net