Re: Workbenches

To: "Bob Moore" <mustang@best.com>, "John Miller" <johnm@ims.com>
Subject: Re: Workbenches
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:38:47 -0500
Bob Moore wrote:

> My opinion on benches- watch in back of any restaurant being
remodeled,
> and look for large stainless cabinets or sections- <SNIP>  Mine
were free, even got
> help[ loading them. The big one was 14' long, with two work areas
and room
> for a drain pan/work surface etc. in the middle.

Bob's a "scrounger", and I'm one also.  I too, have a restaurant
stainless bench but I have also "scored"
11  7 foot tall electronics rack-mount cabinets which I've fitted
with sheet metal shelves which I use to keep all my tools and
supplies out of sight.  I also have a pair of hospital roll-around IV
stands equipped with quartz flood lights and electrical recepticals.
My lathe is mounted on a workbench which was once the heavy tubular
steel shipping crate for a Japanese tractor.  My formula Ford race
car is presently sitting at a good work height on a modified
"flat-bed" cart our local "Sam's Club" junked.  I enjoy "scrounging"
and the reaction I get from visitors when they spot my "adaptations"!
Tony