Re: Slab under existing shed?

To: Shop-Talk Maillist <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Slab under existing shed?
From: Jim Ferguson <jferg@who.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:46:02 -0400
Keith Kaplan wrote:

> am I insane to consider mixing my own
> Quikrete for a 24'x8'x4" slab?  I haven't called around yet to see how much
> a real concrete truck would charge to come deliver such a small (to them)
> load.

I just pored an 12' x 12' x ~3" slab in one of my storage sheds.  The
local ready-mix people will not deliver less than about 6 yards. (They
will deliver, but they charge for the full load.)  I contacted a local
concrete finisher and got him to do my job (pore and finish) for $150.00
including the concrete. I did all the forms and prep.

I did have to wait for about 4 weeks until he accumulated several small
jobs that he could split a load of concrete between.

Sure beat all that mixing.  It looks great.

Jim Ferguson