Re: Painting basement/workshop floors

To: tboicey@brit.ca, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting basement/workshop floors
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 23:16:50 EDT

<<
 I am moving into a new house in a few weeks, and am looking
 to paint the basement floor to keep dust down and to give
 some kind of sealing.

   What should I use to coat the floor with? As well, how much
 should I buy for about 1000sq/ft?

   It doesn't have to be SUPER oil tight but I expect to be working
 on car parts and other dirties in the workshop, so it would be nice
 if it at least was somewhat stain resistant. I am mostly concerned
 about dust however, the clean concrete seems to kick up a lot.

   Thanks for any insight.
 --
 Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.

Trevor-

+++'s
I have used a product made by Amerlock. The stuff is 2 part and v nasty stuff,
fumewise. Lots of air circulation and breathing apparatus mandatory. The stuff
is used to paint offshore oil rigs in situ (among others...) and I just can't
say enough about it. I've dropped all sorts of stuff on it without so much as
a chip, turned the wheels on a car parked for weeks in one spot without
pulling any paint, spilled about anything you could possibly find in a garage
on it without a stain. Everything just wipes off.

---'s
The odor when drying is awful (I painted and left for a week). Depending on
the temperature, you don't have a lot of "working" time as it will start to
dry in your bucket and "pill". Mix up a small batch to do the edges, then mix
the batch and start rollin. Be sure to put it on thick enough as it will form
a nice shiney hard surface when thick enough, but a dull surface if too thin.

Getting the floor extremely clean and etching it (I used muratic acid) will
keep whatever you put down last longer.

Good luck, no envy...
     Nick in Nor Cal