Fw: Leak-Down Testing

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Leak-Down Testing
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:34:56 -0500

Someone asked:

 > So how did you afford a regulator and pair of gauges and still
 > stay under $12?

 I already have an adjustable regulator and a gauge on my compressor
 so all I need is a 1/4" npt pipe tee with a .040 - .050 orifice
 (drilled soldered-up hose barb) on the inlet side, one 100 psi gauge
 and a hose to a connector brazed to an old sparkplug body.  Make
that
 $9!    In reality, I've sexed it up a bit with a quick coupler on
the
 outlet side and a male coupler half on the inlet side.  In use, it
is
 calibrated by blocking the outlet side (disconnect coupler or thumb
 over the outlet) and adjusting the compressor regulator to read 100
#
 on the tool gauge.  When connected to the cylinder, read leakdown
 percentage as the inverse of the gauge reading:  100 psi = 0%
 leakdown   90 psi = 10% leakdown, etc.   I'm still not sure about
the
 effect of the orifice size; I've borrowed a "real" tester so I can
do
 some comparisons.

 Tony