Re: Leak-Down Testing

To: "pethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Leak-Down Testing
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:38:34 -0500

> LEAKDOWN TESTER PLANS
>
> Here it is as it appeared in the September, 1990, RIGHT LINE.
> All rights for reproduction remain with Steve Soar.
>
> -------------------------------

<Major snippage>

> Caveat: Professional leakdown testers read out in "%" leakage,
> converted from psi. There must be a calibration factor used based
on
> the amount of pressure drop for a given orifice size but I have
been
> unable to determine what the math for this might be.  Any Fluids
> types listening out there?

I'm certainly not a "fluid-type" but I DID disect a "real" leakdown
tester ("Auto Test Inc., Bellville, Wisc") and discovered that the
leak percent guage is simply a regular gauge reading psi pressure
with an extra  dial face "surround" calibrated in inverse
relationship to the psi gauge readings.  For instance, this gauge
happened to read to a maximum of 60# psi and that pressure was "leak"
calibrated as 0 % leak,  54# psi was 10% "leak",  30# psi was 50%
"leak" ,  0# psi was 100% leak and so on.

In experimenting with this tester, I also discovered that the 60#
inlet pressure and gauge calibration may be clever in spite of the
"simple math" appeal of the 100 pound gauge and calibration . . .
It'll be hard to control rotation of the engine at much over 60 psi.

I would also invite prospective builders to consider using a simple
1/4" npt pipe tee from the hardware store rather than all that
drilling and tapping of a block of aluminum.  The #60 drill size
orifice can be placed in the solder, braze or epoxy-plugged inlet
coupler to gain the same effect.

Cheers,
Tony