leakdown tester

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: leakdown tester
From: rex.burkheimer@chrysalis.org
Date: Mon, 25 May 98 15:16:35 -0500

Jack Ryan wrote:
>I took apart a friend's leakdown teaster, and the orifice was .055", and the
>calibrate pressure was 35PSI.  it very rarely turned an engine over, and it
>looked like the % was close to straight percent (ie 35PSI=0%, 17.5=50%).  it
>was marked at good being between 40-30% to 10% leakage (the green area).

   So, with your report and several previous ones, it looks like:

     @ 100 psi, orifice size is .060

     @  60 psi, orifice size is .057

     @  35 psi, orifice size is .055

  That looks pretty consistent to me. Could all these be right? Any formulas
to verify this pressure/orifice curve?   Any more data points?

Rex Burkheimer    Ft. Worth TX
Texas Region SCCA
FC Reynard #19  ITB Pinto #49