Re: Portable Generators

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Portable Generators
From: Roger Korn <rkorn@europa.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 06:59:15 -0700

John Miller wrote:

> <snip>
>
>  - Most have low oil shutoffs - is this important? My lawnmower doesn't burn
>    enough oil in one season to need oil added.  Why should a generator?

Generators run unattended for long periods. If a crankshaft seal blows on a
generatoryou'ld never know until too late. On a lawn mower, you'ld know!

>  - Are Honda engines worth the extra price?

I think so. I have a Honda tiller (6 years) and a Honda mower (8 years).
Maintenanceconsists of:
    Once a year, change the oil.
    Every use, check the oil (it's NEVER been low)
    Once a year, check the valve clearances (I've NEVER adjusted them)
    Once a year, take out the spark plug, look at it, put it back in.
NEVER has either machine required more than two pulls to start. This closely
parallels
my experience with Stihl chain saws and weed-eaters.

>  - Is diesel better than gas?  (I have no other diesel equip now)

A toss-up.Gas:
    More easily available
    More dangerous and shorter storage life
Diesel:
    Tends to be more rugged
    Fuel can be stored for ten years
    No ignition system to malfunction

>  - Is electric start a worth while feature on larger units?

For 10 Kw and up, and frequent use, yes.

>  - Is it safe to run electronic equipment on gas generators?

It's safe enough, in my opinion. However, the frequency deviation from 60 Hzcan
be considerable and some equipment doesn't like that.

>  - What else do I need to be concerned with?

Keeping your wife happy <g>. I have one of these treasures also.