Re: Portable Generators

To: johnm@ims.com
Subject: Re: Portable Generators
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:16:15 -0400

     Consider the climate where you live. In our area, we underwent a
     massive power outage in January; we were out for two weeks at our
     place, while some people were out for up to a month. Generators were
     being brought in from everywhere, but not all would run well in the
     cold. Some models made in Arizona really couldn't handle sub-freezing
     temperatures here in Ontario, Canada, for example. The crankcase
     breather tube would freeze and then oil would blow out wherever it
     could (like where gaskets used to be); also the carburetor would
     freeze up. People learned to re-route the exhaust heat to the
     appropriate areas to prevent this, but in the middle of trying to keep
     yourselves living in your home you don't need that kind of hassle.

     My recommendations:
     1. Honda motor or similar - for fuel efficiency, as well as
     reliability. Alternately, a big gas tank. Remember when it runs out of
     gas, you get to deal with it by flashlight or candle.
     2. 2000 watts will get your furnace fan motor running, assuming
     there's a way to get its fuel in. (In our case we have a wood furnace,
     so this worked. If your furnace runs on town-supplied gas, you'll
     likely be able to carry on as well.)
     3. If you have a submersible pump for your well, it's likely 240 v,
     and the smaller generators only have 120. No running water was by far
     the biggest pain of all. Eventually, you just have to flush those
     toilets!
     4. Electric start is good if your wife is not mechanically inclined.
     There may come a time when she needs to use it. In our case, if I
     hadn't been around, we simply would have had to have moved out.
     5. I think around 5000 watts is a good compromise, but you really have
     to consider what you're doing with it. Bigger=less portable, but less
     portable=more power=more creature comforts.
     6. Forget about hot water.
     7. I think the low oil thing is because the usage could be continuous,
     and if it seizes something drastic may have to happen, such as the
     need to find a new place to live.

     Can't really speak to your other questions, but hope this helps.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace