Re: Parts/Dish Washer Machine

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Parts/Dish Washer Machine
From: Charlie Kish <ckish@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 14:44:37 -0400
Douglas Shook wrote:

> Using a dishwasher as a parts washer actually is a very interesting
> idea.  I wasn't going to admit it here, but I guess it is safe as my
> wife does not see this newsgroup. I have been using our new KitchenAide
> dishwasher (in the kitchen) as a parts washer.
>
> I ordered a parts washer last week so that I could discontinue using the
> kitchen appliance, but I would have to support your findings that it
> does a fine job on motorcycle cylinder heads even with the basic
> powdered dishwasher soap set on pots scrubber mode.
>
> Of course, I could only do this when the wife was away.  One thing I did
> find, though, is a great way to clean the dishwasher after using it as a
> parts washer--a full jar of Tang.
>
> Now I know this probably sounds loony, but I actually got the advice
> from an appliance repair show that is on a radio station back in Detroit
> (WJR).  This fellow recommended running your dishwasher empty (full of
> water but no soap, dishes or cylinder heads), and once it has filled
> with water, open the door and pour in a full jar of powdered Tang, and
> then just let it cycle through as normal.  Maybe it is the citric acid,
> I don't know, but it does a great job on cleaning up the tank, sprayers
> and racks.  The orange flavor also makes the kitchen smell great.
>
> I am not kidding--this really does work. I didn't invent it, either, so
> there is some track record out there.  The fact that an appliance
> repairman would recommend doing this on a radio program probably would
> indicate that is little possibility for appliance damage, given the
> litigatousness (sic?) of our society.
>
> Anyway, back to the dedicated dishwasher in the garage--almost makes me
> wish I had gone that route instead, though I don't have running water in
> the garage.  I also wonder, too, how well the dishwasher works on oil
> galleys, water jackets, etc., that are not subject to the direct spray
> of the washer (my dishwasher does not submerge the parts, it only sprays
> them).
>
> My thinking here is that being summerged in an agitated parts washer
> with a solvent such as Agitene or Varsol probably does a better job on
> those "hidden" drillings and chambers. I guess it also is more practical
> for cleaning up one part or some wrenches as you work--my dishwasher
> takes about 45 minutes or so to run a load.
>
> But honestly, I think your notion of putting a dedicated dishwasher in
> the garage is a great idea.  There is no reason why you could not use
> one of the water-based parts washer solvents (e.g., Aquatane).  My
> KitchenAide has a heating element in it, so you could have a heated,
> water-based parts washing machine.
>
> I just paid $250 for a 30 gallon, 200 GPH, tank mounted parts washer
> that may not have shipped yet. For that price I could have bought a new
> dishwasher! I measured the inside of my dishwasher and it is about
> 20"x22"x21", pretty tight for a straight 6 cylinder head or other long
> [...]
No mistake there Doug.  If you were to install a dishwasher in the
garage your wife might just put two and two together.  My experience in
twenty nine years of marriage is you never really fool a spouse and give
them enough information and they will make a fool of you.  As long as
the other is already ordered stay with it.  The tang is a good tip for
all of those out there that will push the odds.      Charlie