Re: Parts/Dish Washer Machine

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Parts/Dish Washer Machine
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 12:59:55 -0700
Charlie Kish wrote:

> Do I understand this that you can run solvents such as Agitene or Varsol
> through a dishwasher with a heat element and not hurt the seals?
> Charlie

I certainly would not use any petroleum-based solvents in a
dishwasher--although the tank in my KitchenAid is steel, many of them
are plastic, and the racks and sprayers usually are plastic or plastic
coated. You might open the door to find a puddle of melted dishwasher.
I also would never heat any petroleum-based solvent (e.g., Agitene has a
flash point of 110 F) in a dishwasher or otherwise.

I just used a heavy dose of the regular powdered dishwasher soap, but
what I suggested, is that if you were to create a "dedicated" parts
washer, maybe one could use some of the water-based solvents (e.g.,
Graymills Aquatene 581 or 330--they can be heated up to 200 and 180
respectively), and then you would have a "heated, automatic parts
washing machine." I called KitchenAid, and my particular model attains a
maximum internal temperature of 145 degrees F during the wash cycle, and
it holds about 3 gallons of water for a wash.

I would not, however, use anything in a dishwasher other than dishwasher
soap if you ever planned to use it to wash dishes again--the SO may
detect an undesirable  aftertaste :)

doug