Re: Painting garage floors

To: mikel@ichips.intel.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting garage floors
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:47:19 EDT

>Yet another question about garage floor painting....

And yet another OPINION from the Nickster...

I have used a product called Amerlock, from the Ameron corp. It is a 2 part
exoxy paint available in a nice grey color. It is designed for painting oil
rigs in situ, so it sticks to most anything. After a thorough cleaning with
detergent and TSP (or muriatic), you can roll the stuff on easily. Prepare a
small portion first and do all the edges (it dries fairly quickly, like 1-2
hours), then roll the rest of the floor. Lay the stuff on fairly heavily, it
takes a good level to shine nicely and if too thin will look dull. After
several years since application, it is starting to get dull in front of the
bench where I do most of my standing (metal chips etc get picked up on my
shoes), but the surface is still completely intact. No chemicals that I have
in my shop have affected it so far. Oftimes there is a 4000+ pound car parked
on it for long periods of time and when the wheels are turned before the car
moves. the paint stays just where it ought to. I have dropped tools on it once
or twice...ok lotsa times, and there has never been a chip (although it can be
sctratched).
When you put it on, be sure to wear a really good respirator and plan on going
out for the evening. It does stink. When you are all done, line up any old
tools, garden implements, etc and coat them with what's left. They'll never
rust !

Yeah, I'd do a commercial for the stuff...
         Nick in Nor Cal