Re: Engine cranes

To: "John Miller" <johnm@ims.com>, <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine cranes
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:19:42 -0500
From: John Miller <johnm@ims.com>
To: ken_landaiche@dlcc.com <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>;
shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>; shammatt@sos.net
<shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 6:55 PM

>Depending upon the engine you are working on,
>you might consider an unorthodox mounting method.
>
>On Rabbit motors, we bolt the stand to the side of the
>block using 3 unused threaded holes.  This makes it possible
>to work on the clutch and it seems more stable in the stand.
>
>The stand is the normal 750 lb unit and we drill the mounting
>plate to match the 3 holes in the side of the block (we don't
>use the adapters that would mate it to the back of the block).

My buddy Bob did this with his Renault engine.  Worked slick.  He has a
cheap NH engine stand (NH is based here in Minnesota).  He was not impressed
with its stability, so he bolted it to his workbench.

Europa, Quantum Syncro, Suburban
LOON, LOL/SCCA, VTR, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/