RE: vacuum systems

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: vacuum systems
From: Ken Landaiche <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:30:19 -0700
This lack of dust collector fittings leads me to think that the best way
to plumb the system would be to make a simple tree network to all of the
work areas with a dust system's pipe and blast gates (sounds like an
aircraft carrier deck), then fit each tool to its gate with assorted PVC
fittings.

So, shoppers, should one route this ducting downward toward the vacuum?
Does overhead routing lose much suction?

I don't suppose the gray PVC electrical conduit would be conductive
enough to bleed off the static buildup. Does the ground wire run
throught all of the ducts? "All connections must be made up in an
approved electrical make up box." Sorry, too much perusal of the code
book lately.

A brother of mine has a whole house vacuum system, which seems to be
pretty convenient. Does anyone use their dust collection system as the
general cleanup vacuum source in their shop? After all of that duct
work, does the system have the suction of a portable shop vac? Am I
getting too nerdy here?

Ken Landaiche