Setting up shop

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Setting up shop
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:33:00 -0500

-> - workbenches - I want to build one from angle/box iron as an initial
-> project. Any advice (size/shape/surface material/plans/etc)?

 Build the benches high; the recommended heights in the architectural
books seem to be intended for midgets.  Remember you'll normally be
standing when working at the bench.

-> - air tools - what size compressor is needed to run drills/grinders
-> without having to wait for the compressor all the time.

 Compressors are a whole subject of their own, as the manufacturers'
specs tend to range from misdirection to outright prevarication.  In
general, get the one that makes the most CFM at 90PSI or better.  Put
the compressor *outside* your work area - you could, for example, put it
in a garden shed and run an underground pipe to the garage.  Otherwise
it will drive you nuts with the noise.

-> - Tools. (Sockets, screwdrivers, panelwork, air/electric tools etc).
-> What are some names of "can't go wrong if you buy this" brands. I'm
-> tired of cheap sockets that wear out in a few months, especially ones
-> that look the part but aren't.

 Proto, Blackhawk, Challenger, Williams, Bonney, and SK are good.
Snap-On and MAC tend to be more expensive due to their distribution
system.  Sears' Craftsman line used to be an excellent buy, but after
some of my 25-year-old tools were stolen a few years ago I replaced them
with new Craftsman, which strip or break about the same as the cheapest
Taiwan or India tools.  A replace-it-forever warranty is okay, but I
liked it better when I didn't have to take advantage of the warranty on
a regular basis.

-> - Hand tool storage - what is a good way to store various tools.

 Some people like pegboards.  I prefer toolboxes.  I recommend one of
the cheap home center type roll-about toolboxes.  A decent Kennedy or
Craftsman setup can easily run upwards of $600; that money could more
usefully be spent on acquiring tools, even if you have to resort to shoe
boxes for a while.

-> - Gas welding - I have done some gas welding, but if I want to go
-> into a shop and buy a complete setup for doing automotive panels and
-> some box tube/angle iron construction what do I need to ask for and
-> what would a good setup cost.

 First thing to check into is the bottles.  You can get bottles from
Northern Hydraulic or Harbor Freight for less than half of most local
prices.  Shop for prices for refills - if your vendor swaps the bottles,
you now have *his* bottles, and you'll have hell getting them refilled
anywhere else, if you even can.  If you want your bottles filled and
returned you'll usually have to wait a few days.  Keep your sales slip
or receipt - laminate it in plastic - you'll need proof of ownership to
get them filled.  Don't forget to bow toward DC and the DOT for looking
out for your interests, whatever interests are served by this particular
new hassle.

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm