Re: Painting fans?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting fans?
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:50:08 -0400
At 05:08 PM 8/28/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  It could indeed be the wrong direction, but in the past
>a friend of mine tried the fan pointing out and had
>a serious problem.
>
>  The problem was that the air comes back in through leaks
>and pinholes in the garage wall. Since the leaks are very
>small, the velocity of the air coming in is very high.
>
>...snip....

I think you missed the whole point of the input filter!  Sounds like
you (or your friend) are trying to seal the garage up tight. No, No, No,
that's not what you want to do (and if you do you get the problem
you describe) you want a filtered input area that is much larger than
the exhaust area in order to keep the air velocity very low.

One thing you can do is to build a frame (8ft x 2 ft that would fit across
the bottom of your garage door then fill the frame with furnace filters and
close the door onto the filter frame.)

If you don't want to do anything about air input then just leaving the door
wide open is better than eliminating input air (as long as you pick a
reasonably calm day this works very well).