Re: Shipping an engine

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Subject: Re: Shipping an engine
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 11:30:37 -0300
Peter,

        I had a Sunbeam Talbot 2267cc engine with gearbox (~600 pounds)
attached sent from New Mexico to me in Nova Scotia (300+ miles) a couple of
years ago. It was shipped as scrap metal to reduce the cost to $300.00 - yes
there is a big difference declaring it as scrap metal, and all that was
done is
drain all fluids and strapped it to a strong hardwood pallet so it could be
fork
lifted. It arrived here in one piece which is all I was concerned about as
it was
to be rebuilt. Hope this helps.

Bob

At 09:17 AM 9/2/1998 -0400, you wrote:

>I am going to be shipping the engine from my Healey (about 600+ pounds)
>within the next month.
>
>I was thinking in terms of something which would allow me to bolt
>the motor at the motor mounts on each side and the rear plate.  It
>would, most likely need to have some provision to allow it to be
>handled with a fork lift, and be strong enough to hold the weight
>of engine.
>
>Does anyone have plans for something like this and/or experience
>with shipping?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
>ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
>schauss@worldnet.att.net
>1963 BJ7
>1980 MGB

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
Home Page: http://www.navnet.net/~hamilton/index.html - REVISED!!!
E-Mail: hamilton@navnet.net