Re: Which air wrench first

To: <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Which air wrench first
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:03:46 -0400
I'd rate as follows:

1. 3/8" ratchet.  The air-ratchet is really versatile -- especially whe=
taking stuff apart.  I just finished rebuilding a bike engine (CBR-600 =
that had
the transmission disintegrate), and the air-ratchet knocked hours off o=
disassembly.  Last year's MG engine removal and disassembly was a breez=
e with
an air-ratchet.

2. 1/2" impact wrench.   If cost was not an issue, then I'd rate this
first -- when you need an impact wrench, nothing else really will work.=
  I find
that the less expensive impact wrenches just don't have the power that =
you're
looking for when you really need it -- so you get frustrated and don't =
use it.
You won't use it nearly as often as the ratchet -- use is pretty much l=
imited
to removing frozen bolts, or bolts that tend to spin the assembly
(crankshaft/sprocket) they're fastened to.

3. Butterfly impact wrench.  I have one and never use it.  Probably
partly because I bought a cheap one, and found that my ratchet has just=
 as much
power. . .

Steve Dillen
AS/400 Technical Support
IBM Canada Limited, Pacific Development Centre
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada  V5A 4B5
Tel:  (604) 293-6135      Fax: (604) 293-6148
E-Mail:  SDILLEN@ca.ibm.com

My comments -- not IBM's

shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net on 09/16/98 14:19:21
Please respond to flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com