Re: Which air wrench first

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Which air wrench first
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:31:03 -0400

> From shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net Wed Sep 16 17:09 EDT 1998
> From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
>
> Well, there's a birthday coming up, and I was thinking that
> would be a good reason to request that a new tool be purchased.
>
> I think I'm ready for my first air wrench, but which one?
>
> Seems there's three which would be useful...
>
> 1) The classic 1/2 inch gun style, (which makes that wonderful
>    sound at the tire store)
> 2) A 3/8 inch rachet style
> 3) A 3/8 butterfly style
>
> If you could only have one, which would it be?  (and why)
> My use is for general automotive repair.
 Thanks,

Facing a similar choice about a year ago, I opted for the 3/8 butterfly.
I use it mostly for disassembling things, like when I pull the gearbox
out of the Healey.  It is compact enough to get into spots where
a full size impact wrench won't fit and packs enough power to break loose
most of the bolts.

My next air tool purchase will most likely be a full size, good quality
1/2 gun style impact wrench for the jobs where nothing else will get the
bolts loose.  For most of what I do on the car, I really can't see where
I would use an air ratchet.  The butterfly wrench is light and compact.
It actually fits into places which I wouldn't be able to reach with a ratchet.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 BJ7