Extra jack lifting height

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Extra jack lifting height
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:11:16 -0400
I have the basic 2 ton heavy duty floor jack I use for working on my
car.

The problem I have is that I put it up to the highest setting, then
get it on jackstands, and there's not quite enough room to work.

I used to use a block of wood between the jack and the car (painful
cringes from the audience) until the wood slipped and cracked open my
radiator.  Some lessons have to be learned painfully.

Anyhow, I'd sure like to get more height under the car.  My jackstands
are only up to the second or third setting at most, and if I'm on a
creeper, space is next to nonexistant.  I can work, but it'd sure be
nice to have more space.

And no, the garage is too small (as is the budget) for a nice lift.

Any suggestions... aside from getting a new jack?  I know some of the
long-frame jacks lift quite high, but storage space is also at a
premium in the garage.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap          mailto:heerschap@eng.kns.com