Re: Extra jack lifting height

To: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Subject: Re: Extra jack lifting height
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 10:04:01 -0700
Two options:
- Buy a better 2 ton jack.  The lift range for the $20-30 ones is about 14
inches.  A $50-100 one lift higher.
- put a 2x10 under the length of the jack.  I have a low car, so I have to
jack up the car in stages.  Getting the rear of the car up takes two jack
stands and at least 3 jackings.  I'd like a bigger jack, but don't have
the space in my small garage for the long handle.

Don't forget safety.  As the car is lifted, it goes through an arc.
Either the car or jack will move, or the jack will tilt.  The more the car
is lifter, the greater the movement.  Anticipate and plan for this.  If
your setup doesn't allow this, jack in smaller stages.

Brian Kemp