Re: Tire mounting equipment

To: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Subject: Re: Tire mounting equipment
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:12:15 GMT
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:04:48 -0400, Chris wrote:

:: I've got a question.  Do any of you have tire mounting equipment in
:: your home shops?  I've thought a couple times lately how nice it would
:: be to be able to unmount and mount tires easily.  I've seen Harbor
:: Frieght has a manual changer for not too much, but I don't know if it
:: would actually work that well.

I bought one of the HF changers on sale.  I have to say that it is a
real improvement over hand tools!  I use it on wire wheels and had to
modify it slightly to hold the wheels properly.  It is set up for
wheels with holes for lug bolts or studs.  I have no idea how useful
it would be for aluminum wheels, but suspect it would let you get the
job done.  The quality is typical of current Chinese imports,
generally sturdy but inviting some finishing of  working surfaces.

-Roland