RE: Powder Coat - Thanks & follow-up

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Powder Coat - Thanks & follow-up
From: Tim Nevins <timn@iobjects.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:23:36 -0800
Richard Beels wrote:
<<stuff snipped>>
>My question is: how would the heating cycle affect the
durability/temper of
>aluminum.  I figure wheels must be fine because I see powder coated
wheels
>all over the place but what about smaller, thinner pieces.  Can you
tell I
>don't work much with aluminum?  ;-)

I read an article in a vintage racing magazine that had an interview
with a
Mr. Jongblod (sp?) who makes racing wheels. He was emphatic in his
insistance that you should never powdercoat a wheel, expecially
a racing wheel. As I recall, he said that powdercoating is pretty
durable
and won't telegraph cracks in the underlying material like paint will.
In other
words, when the wheel cracks (not if!) the powdercoating will not crack
or show the change in the underlying material. It will also
make it difficult to inspect the wheel. Paint on the other hand will
crack when
the material below cracks.

That was the jist of it, makes sense to me!

If you use wheels of unknown history, have them inspected!

Tim