Re: Powder Coat - Thanks & follow-up

To: timn@iobjects.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Powder Coat - Thanks & follow-up
From: LSAPEX@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:58:59 EST

<< Mr. Jongblod (sp?) who makes racing wheels. He was emphatic in his
 insistance that you should never powdercoat a wheel, expecially
 a racing wheel. As I recall, he said that powdercoating is pretty
 durable
 and won't telegraph cracks in the underlying material like paint will.
 In other
 words, when the wheel cracks (not if!) the powdercoating will not crack
 or show the change in the underlying material. It will also
 make it difficult to inspect the wheel. Paint on the other hand will
 crack when
 the material below cracks.

 That was the jist of it, makes sense to me!

 If you use wheels of unknown history, have them inspected!

 Tim >>

Same is true for race car suspension pieces. Ceramic coating seems to be OK
though.

Les
Team APEX