Re: Covering Air Compressors

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Covering Air Compressors
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:56:49 -0800
I built such a shed for my 35 gallon horizontal. Just surrounding it
by 1/2" CDX plywood made a huge difference - I recently lined
the box with acoustic ceiling tile, but haven't tested it yet.

I mounted a 4" boxer fan such that it points at the cooling fins on the
head and is wired such that it runs when the motor does. I also
installed two 4" vents in the box for cross-flow ventilation - one high
at one end and one low at the other, figuring convection will do
wonders. I just used the cheap stamped vents that are available at any
building supply. I really want to avoid the intake seeing hot air.

Lately I've been thinking that I might mount another 4" fan at the exit
vent, to force airflow - mostly I'm concerned about excessive
condensation in there, since the whole thing sits outside and sometimes
doesn't get used for weeks at a time.

I also put a small K&N filter on the intake to try to cut some intake
noise - not clear it helps. But it might keep the level of dust wear on
the piston down.