Shop vacuums

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Shop vacuums
From: Ken Landaiche <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:28:45 -0800
I want to buy a vacuum for the shop for general cleanup, basically to
replace the push broom I use. I thought of getting one that could later
be hooked up to a permanent vacuum system, but decided to get one for
that purpose when I get that far. So I want a small, powerful, quiet
robot to follow me around the cramped aisles of my garage and know I
can't have all of those features. Do you have any suggestions?

I jsut saw some Ridgid shop vacs in Home Depot ranging in price from
~$80 to ~$150. I know Ridgid's pipe wrenches are great, but what about
their vacuums? One of the higher models has a detachable motor that
morphs into a weed blower sort of appliance. Is that worth anything, or
does the exhaust from any vacuum work as well?

Thanks, as always, in advance.

Ken Landaiche