Re: [BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from

To: shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: [BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:06:45 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Stan,
>
> I personally do not believe there is any problem with using copper, but
> the "word" was that copper will "work harden" from the
> expansion/contraction/pounding from the air, but I have not seen any
> articles to support this.

Me neither.  We have miles of copper lines carrying compressed gasses of
all sorts in the hospital where I work.  And what about heat pumps and air
conditioners?  I've seen pressures of 350 psi on these units with *lots*
of compressor vibration.  I should clarify that all joints are silver
soldered/brazed.  The only time I've ever seen a copper pipe system fail
has been due to frozen water pipes.

Any ME's out there with the definitive word on this?

> As I said in the other post, I used the thick wall copper (can't
> remember the coding) for underground burial.

That would be 'type L' piping.

> The only problem I have had with copper is that when I initially made
> the radiator, the solder would melt and blow out under sustained
> operation.  A shop talk lister suggest using silver solder, and it cured
> the problem (this is only an issue if you are sweating in copper between
> the pump head and the tank).

I think that was me...

Martin Scarr