RotoZip Saw

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RotoZip Saw
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:30:36 -0800
I mentioned the rotozip saw I got for Christmas and the furnance install
where I found it so handy. Here is rotozip's url:

http://www.rotozip.com/

Since it was a gift, I'm not certain of the price, but I think it was
around $60. It seems very robust, though not much heavier than a
flashlight.  It consumes 4 amps and runs at 30,000 RPM.  I think it is
impossible to stall it, or even slow it down while using it.  It
exhausts away from you so you don't get a face full of dust.

It does generate some fine dust, though, and it "sings" quite a tune at
30K RPM.

According to the write up, they have been making them since 1972 for
contractors, but only recently started marketing them for general sales.

Following is a write up I cut from their web page:

The Company and
                 The Technology

              In 1972, Roto Zip Tool
              Corporation pioneered spiral
              saw technology by inventing
              the first drywall cutout tool
              and marketing it to a very
              receptive construction
              industry. Inspired by an
              experienced tradesman, the
              original product was
              designed to speed-up the
              process of making cut-outs
              for electrical boxes, windows
              and doors when installing
              sheets of drywall.

              In recent years, the Spiral
              Saw system has evolved to
              become the tool of choice for
              tradesman, do-it-yourselfers,
              hobbyists and crafters. While
              its primary advantages are
              cutting speed and control,
              the Spiral Saw slices
              materials rather than the
              ripping action of jig,
              reciprocating, and circular
              saws. Using a variety of
              patented Zip® Bits, this
              spiral cutting action cleanly
              slices through virtually any
              type of commonly used
              building material (up to 1"
              thick).

I have no financial interest in this company, and only found out about
it on 12/25/98.

I do like it very much, though.

doug