Re: Question on Brands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on Brands
From: bob bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:51:52 -0500

>Check the auctions in your local paper and contact some shops too. They almost
>always have old machinery that they will get rid of reasonably.  They know the
>dealers won't pay them much.

Also check with the local machine shops. They often have a back room full
of equipment that isn't good enough for them anymore but is just fine for
what we need to do. That or they are looking to upgrade and want to get rid
of the older stuff. I'm picking up a nice Bridgeport that way in the spring
(when the snow blocking the entrance to the shop is gone...)

>Got a Delta drill press from the early 50's for $25. Needed $15 worth of
>bearings, $6 in paint, a little Gunk, some scrubbing, a little oil, a new
>electrical cord, and about 2 hours of my time.  Looks new, works new, and
>there's not one bit of plastic on it.

Besides, that way,  you a) know what you have, and b) get the enjoyment of
working on it!
>I'd look for Delta, Clausing, or Wilton items. Parts are easy to get and with
>reasonable care they will out last both of us.

Bridgeport for mills & South Bend for lathes as well.