Tools and rounded nuts...

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tools and rounded nuts...
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:47:25 -0500
Some really good things said about cheap tools and expensive tools.

My only additions would be this...

Sometimes a tool doesn't have to be expensive to do a good job.

Case in point?  My $10 HF 25" 1/2" drive breaker bar.  It's just a
large piece of steel, and with it, I've never had need for a cheater
pipe.  I have a couple other tools in that category... occasional use
which doesn't need to be expensive.

However, when it comes to the good tools, the daily users, especially
the power ones, I go with the good stuff.  My air tools are all ChiPn
or I-R, and they work great.  I've got a 1/4" SK ratchet which has
been abused in all manner and has outlasted two significantly beefier
looking Craftsman versions.  I have a Blackhawk 3/8" drive swivel-head
ratchet which has been used by myself at four other people.  All four
of them muttered something about stealing it when I wasn't looking.
My dad has a set of 60-tooth Blackhawk ratchets that are five years
older than I am, survived my early days of wrenching (breaker bar?
whassat?) and are still in immaculate condition.

Expensive tools are certainly expensive, but you get them ONCE.

Most have lifetime warranties... few need it.  Craftsman, Husky, and
HF tools need the warranties.  Doesn't mean I don't use their stuff,
it's just a matter of how often I plan on using the tool and if I mind
having to replace it.

Now as for rounded bolts, the best thing to do is hide all your 12
point sockets and gets 6pts, as well as using universal joints only
when absolutely necessary.  I haven't rounded a single bolt since I
got my 6pts.  The only thing I use my 12pts for now is 12pt bolts.  If
you have a problem with fitting the 6 pts in a tight area, get
yourself a good fine ratchet.  My Blackhawk has 41 teeth and dual
pawls good for 82 clicks per revolution, 4.3 degrees per click!

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com