RE: coil tester

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: coil tester
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:33:09 -0700
Op :

It doesn't strike me as a good test, since I've seen several coils that
will pass your test, but won't run an engine.
At the very least you'll want to add a copy of the condenser to the
circuit.  Firing a normal plug in free air is a poor test, since it's much
more difficult to fire a plug under compression. (Being wet with fuel, like
at startup, is even worse.)  Cutting the plug's side terminal completely
off (so the spark jumps the 1/4" or so from the center to the shell) makes
a somewhat more realistic test, but as I recall still only takes about 5
kV.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of checking inductance and resistance
of both primary and secondary, plus insulation resistance and breakdown.

Randall