painting steel work surface

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: painting steel work surface
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:32:26 -0500
My father made me a killer 4' x 8' workbench as a gift last year.  The
surface is 1/8" steel.  He painted it with an epoxy primer/paint combo
that the paint guys said would be perfect for the application, but the
first time I slid my A-series engine across the top, it started
peeling.

Any suggestions on a better way to finish the surface?  Powder coating
is probably not an option because the steel is glued down, so I'd have
to get the whole bench to the PC shop.
--
                                                          Matt Liggett
                                               Professional Dilettante