Re: Lincolns in small spaces

To: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Lincolns in small spaces
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:19:14 -0400
Matt Liggett wrote:
> > I can tell you that I love my 93642 - it's a _stout_ jack.
>
> The hyjacks website says:
>
>   The Norco uses a pumping arc of from 90 degrees down to horizontal
>   while the American jacks use an arc of more like from 45 degrees
>   down to horizontal.  So, if you always seem to be rolling your jack
>   under the rear axle and lifting the entire rear end the American
>   jacks will be more convenient and faster. But, if you have a small
>   garage and usually lift from the side the Norco's arc allows a
>   pumping action from straight vertical all the way down to straight
>   horizontal and would help keep your handle from hitting the wall or
>   hitting another car parked nearby.
>
> Now, I'm about to move out of my narrow 20'x20' garage, and I hope my
> next shop will be bigger (maybe that 50' x 75'  structure I've been
> sketching ;-), but... has anybody had a problem in narrow spaces with
> the Lincoln jack?

I have read the same and am wondering if anyone has worked with a
Lincoln in a 20x20 garage?  I am just about ready to replace my
cheaply made H-F jack with a Lincoln but have considered the Norco.

FWIW-- With most cars that I work on in my garage, I can get the
handle very close to horizontal both front and rear, and rarely jack
from the side.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com