RE: electrical connectors (was Quick Wrenches)

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: electrical connectors (was Quick Wrenches)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:03:14 -0700
Almost all the solderless connectors I've ever seen were tinned copper or
copper alloy (which are visually much like aluminum).  The tinning is
because pure copper makes a lousy connector, it oxidizes almost instantly
in air, and copper oxide is not a good conductor.

IMO it's impossible to get a long lasting joint at home, using solderless
connectors.  To get a good joint, you need a crimping tool that is
calibrated to the connector and wire.  The cheap 'scissors' tool in the
kits just don't cut it.  Solder is the way to go.  Regardless of connector,
the joint needs to be protected from moisture.

My TR3 has joints made by soldering a solderless connector onto a copper
wire almost 20 years ago, that still look new.  For maximum life, I like to
protect the joint between the connector and the wire with heat shrink
tubing.  It not only excludes any moisture (which can corrode the exposed
copper), but adds mechanical strength where the copper enters the solder
(which otherwise is subject to work hardening).

Tinned copper connectors are available almost everywhere, at least in the
US.  Auto parts stores, discount stores, electronics stores, even my local
grocery store carries them.  Some stores that carry stereo equipment will
also have gold-plated connectors.  One mail order source I have handy is :
DigiKey, 1-800-344-4539, http:\\www.digikey.com

Randall

On Friday, June 25, 1999 6:34 AM, Matt Liggett [SMTP:mml@pobox.com] wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 08:50:50PM -0500, Aaron Bergman wrote:
> > On a different topic, has anybody ever seen copper solderless terminals
for
> > sale.  All that I can find is the cheap aluminum, and when these are in
> > contact with copper for a few years, bi-metallic corrosion will set up
and
> > everything will corrode away.  Does anybody know where one can buy
COPPER