Re: electrical connectors (was Quick Wrenches)

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: electrical connectors (was Quick Wrenches)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:52:03 -0600

Randall Young wrote:

> Almost all the solderless connectors I've ever seen were tinned copper or
> copper alloy (which are visually much like aluminum).  The tinning is
> because pure copper makes a lousy connector, it oxidizes almost instantly
> in air, and copper oxide is not a good conductor.
>
> IMO it's impossible to get a long lasting joint at home, using solderless
> connectors.  To get a good joint, you need a crimping tool that is
> calibrated to the connector and wire.  The cheap 'scissors' tool in the
> kits just don't cut it.  Solder is the way to go.  Regardless of connector,
> the joint needs to be protected from moisture.

We have found, in some instances, that soldered joints will fail under
high-vibration conditions. If the joint is protected from vibration, I
think a soldered joint is very much an advantage.

For more or less reliable connectors and terminals, contact either
Packard (now, I think, Delphi Automotive) or Deutsch. Deutsch requires a
fairly expensive crimping tool, but both brands supply a variety of
well-sealed connector bodies and terminals.
For those willing to wait a bit, I will probably have, as time permits,
an article on the VTR site on alternate connectors and terminals, and
the means to assemble them, but need a bit more time to establish metric
to AWG wire size conversions, and a source or two for metric wire and
terminals (both of the above are now only available in metric sizes, but
the interchange between metric and AWG is not complicated).

Cheers.