Re: Safety Wire

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety Wire
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 05:53:25 -0400
This note was posted about the same subject on the Antique Tractor list
<http://www.atis.net>:

***********************

Safety wire is cheap, readily available, and very handy once you learn
how to use it.  Just make sure that the twisted pigtail is positioned
such that it pulls the fastener (bolt or nut) tighter.  In other words,
wrap it clockwise around the fastener so that it is pulling in the
tightening direction.  The pigtail is the anchored to something
stationary, usually through a small hole, or to another fastener.  For
example, the main bearing caps might have two bolts safetyed through
small holes in the bolt heads.  The safety wire makes an "S" shape
between the bolts with the wire pulling both bolts tighter.  (Of course
the wire isn't really pulling, it just keeps the bolts from loosening.)
The wire between the bolts should be wound (spun) around itself and the
pigtail exiting the second bolt should be spun around itself, cut off
about 1/2 inch or so then bent against the bolt head.  Oh, for a simple
picture.  It's easy, really.

You can get the wire and the tools that make it easier from the
following
places:
Harbor Freight Tools 800-423-2567 or www.harborfreight.com
U.S. Tools 800-521-4800 or www.ustool.com,   wire is $11, spinning tool
is $8, deluxe automatic pliers are $24
Aircraft Spruce 800-329-2020 or www.aircraft-spruce.com
Chief Aircraft 800-447-3408

Aircraft Spruce has a nice catalog, I think it's free with an order.
The
catalog has pictures of safety wiring techniques and also many good shop
information tables, i.e. torques, tap sizes, etc.  Mainly for airplanes
but applicable to many things.

Mike

--

Mike Sloane