Arrgh !

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Arrgh !
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:01:43 EDT

My ole Dad use to say..."If you want it done right, do it yourself".

Well, I gotta say, he was right. As some of you may remember I Purchased a
TR4A (The Duke of Oil) early this year, with visions of racing it this
summer. Ha! Most everything on the car needed to be rebuilt and I figured I
could do that in a fairly timely manner. The only thing I didn't feel
comfortable with is the bodywork/paint, especially with all the new paints
that require a spacesuit to apply safely. I dragged the car down to San
Francisco in April to a bodyshop with a good reputation. I have visited the
Duke on a regular basis since and now that it is August and the car is not
even primered yet, let alone painted, I have put it back on the trailer and
dragged it home again.
So, I will now be painting the car myself.
Does anyone have any good words about paint types or tips ? Remember that
this is California and we can't even get any of the "good" paints here in the
state and must use only the newer type paints which I have never used.
Can I still use a regular paint gun, or must I get a new HVLP style gun? What
primers? Etc etc.

Hoping I don't kill myself with this stuff...
       Nick of Nor Cal