Re: Arrgh ! revisited

To: Malaboge@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Arrgh ! revisited
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:01:03 -0700
At 12:27 PM 8/11/99 -0400, Malaboge@aol.com wrote:
>.....snip...
>response. After too many scare responses, I'm afraid the days of painting my
>own cars has gone. (Somehow the thought of creating a "chamber" big enough
>for me and the car, then pumping it full of cyanide compounds just doesn't
>....snip....

  I have to disagree with the days being over.  You can easily build a
cheap plastic dropcloth wall in  your garage to build that chamber and then
rent a fresh air system to paint the car.  In my case I bought a HobbyAir
system, its $300 and that adds to the cost of the painting but I use it a
lot for lots of things.  Like glass beading, sand blasting and painting
small parts late at night when the garage door is closed.  After I
purchased mine, I found you could rent similar items for $28/day at the
tool rental place, for that price I would have considered renting it when I
paint the car but I am glad I bought the HobbyAir since I use it a lot anyway.

  Todays paints are NASTY but the days are not over, I still prefer saying
"yes that is a run in the paint, but its MY run".  And I think I do a
better quality job than most shops that I could afford will do anyway
because I will make sure every nook and cranny has paint in it, rather than
go, that spot wont be seen after its assembled lets ignore it.  I can't
afford the shops that would do it right, money or time wise.  The cosmetic
quality of the paint would be better from a shop than I will do but it is
MY paint job on MY car, and if I am happy with it isn't that all that
matters anyway?

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/