Re: Arrgh ! revisited

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arrgh ! revisited
From: Ralph Cordell <rcordell@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:00:33 -0400
I repainted my '59 MGA about a year and a half ago using a Dupont acrylic
basecoat-clearcoat system.  This was the first car I painted and I won't try to
tell you it came out perfect.  I did some in my basement, some on the carport
and
some out in the back yard hanging from the bird feeder.  The major flaws were in
the body prep and runs - both of which came back to haunt me.  The one comment I
got was from my local mechanic - an old snuff-dipping gearhead who has
sufficient
color to make me believe he probably knows what he is talking about - who told
me
he has seen "helluva lot worse paint jobs for big money."  The days of backyard
auto may be numbered (I've gotten one citation from the county for having a junk
car - I told the officer I had more money in the engine of my junk car than he
made in a month and that when I got it back together I'd kick his butt any day -
it's a balanced, turbo buick with all the goodies) - but they ain'f over yet.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA, '84 Turbo Regal, '87 Grand national, '96 Roadmonster