RE: Fireplace pedestal

To: "Eric J Petrevich/LRM" <inch@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fireplace pedestal
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:40:24 -0600
You will not blow them up at any room temperature, but it's not a good idea
to have either anywhere near open flame.  Store them elsewhere.

I was born and raised (Daddy owned the business) in an acetylene bottling
plant (we also had an Oxy Trans fill in another building.)  Cylinders leak.
If you are storing either, but particularly acetylene, anywhere but open air
(outside) you will eventually have an ignition.  (and don't forget that
acetylene is one of the hottest burning fuels ever!)  Have you ever wondered
why the welding supply store stores theirs on cylinder docks, OUTSIDE the
store.  Heck, by now that's probably a federal regulation.  As early as the
1950's manufacturing plants and filling stations had to meet the highest
electrical standard and had to be posted "no smoking" a certain distance.
Hot water heat created in another building and plumbed into the acetylene
plant was the only way you could heat it (and running the generator a little
hot :-) )  A wood burning store in the corner is not a good idea, even for
only one set.

As far as the temperature difference, my guess is that the radiant side is
always warmer, or maybe the gas was absorbing heat still.  Heck, I think
that is a physics question as much as a chemical question.

Good luck.  I envoy anyone with heat in the garage.

Ken Gano