Fireplace pedestal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fireplace pedestal
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 21:58:24 -0500
First I want to thank everyone on the list for help with how to make this
safe for use.  I built the pedestal for the small wood stove today.  I lit
a fire in it to celebrate.  Now, I've got some more questions.

I have full size oxy-acetene tanks close to the fire place (I moved them
away) but I was wondering if anyone knew of the temperature tolerance of
these tanks?  Also, a funny thing happened before I moved them, the tank on
one size was warm to the touch, but the other side was cool.  Shouldn't the
gas inside the tank balance out the temp?  Or is it that the gas doesn't
care much at the low temp difference?  (can you tell I'm not a chemist?)

Next, the pedestal has a top of 3/4" plywood, with a full set of paver
stones (1-1/2" thick) that go past the stove on all sides.  Then the four
legs from the stove (albeit very short) are on an extra set of pavers
putting an air space between the stove and paver surface.  Is this enough?
Should I lay some asbestos tile (I've got lots of them in the attic) down?
These tiles are from house siding.  If I do use them, where should they be
placed?

Thanks for the help.

Inch