icemaker woes - part duex

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: icemaker woes - part duex
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:30:51 -0600

Well, I've listened to suggestions and started tearing things apart with
the following results

1.  Water supply is adequate
2.  solonoid valve is clear and operating (when I apply 120 volts with a
jumper wire
3.  Supply tube is clear and not frozen (when I operated the solonoid it
allowed the tray to start filling)

I don't know what operates the solonoid valve... ???
On the front of the icemaker there is a plastic gear (in good condition)
and I assume a
drive gear but it is covered so I can't get to it to turn it.

There are several test points on the front of the unit.  Checked these with
the following results
(reading from the neutral test point to each of the other test points)

1 water valve  = zero volts
2 line voltage - = 120 volts
3 thermostat    = zero volts
4 mold heater = 120 volts
5 motor               = 120 volts

What tells the solonoid valve to open and fill the tray ???   What tells it
to stop ???
Can you cycle the motor to run the unit thru its cycle ??? ?
Someone suggested turning the brass gear slightly to cycle the motor but
the gear cover is an
intergral part of the front face and the gear isn't accessable

Once again I'm asking for direction, suggestions, carzy theories, CWAGs...

gentlemen ?????

john